zondag 13 januari 2019

this was 2018




This year was the 2nd best year of the last decade regarding the number of QSO.
Meanly caused by introduction of FT8.

I never made data qso in the past, except for a couple of RTTY contacts on a Icom transceiver that I could use for a few days.

But FT8 took my interest to help me obtain the 30m DXCC. 
I had VK0, ZL, and the most exotic countries in my 30m log, but some European countries were missing. 

No one answered a cw qso with a local ON station, and no contest qso were possible on this band.  So I took a chance on a new mode, where I was sometimes a new country in FT8.




I discovered a new world, where DX qso on 80m were possible with low power. 
I discovered a new world, where QSOs could be made on a semi-automatic, quasi full-automatic way.

My old equipment could be used again.  The Acom1000, loaded with 7W from the Yaesu  protected my transceiver from heating and provided a basic clean 150W without overloaded itself during hours of traffic.

My FT817, not used for years, is now the basic station for a new project : making QSO with only 1W and a non-directive antenna.   In 2018 I made 254 QSO with ON4CCP.

I conclude that a Windom antenna is a fantastic antenna.  Especially on 80m, I made some very nice QSO allover the world.  With the 9L expedition in the log , SSB and only 500W, it can compete with a vertical, but much easier on the receiving side. 

160m is another story.  Not black, not white.  I made CW QSO's with the Carribean area, but couldn't do a thing direction Asia.  
FT8 on 160m seems worthless for me.  I need much more power than 200W to make DX qso.  Not a surprise with a horizontal wire only 15m high.
Reception is also here fb.







1 opmerking:

  1. Same here. USA and Caribbean on 160 is 'easy' (relative of course) but getting beyond the easy UA9 is very hard.
    You can't have it all...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen