woensdag 4 september 2019

Do not tolerate ON3 cheating


During the WW-DIGI contest I was connected to the contest-score-online website, to follow the exciting battle between W1RM and myself, putting each other to a higher level.

I also noticed a ON3 station, playing in the QRP categorie (5 W) and playing hard : first place, almost as twice the number of QSO versus the second place. 

In almost every category, a USA station was first, except for this QRP category.

ON3 stations can obtain a kind of rookie license by passing a ridiculous easy exam. 
As a consequence, they are limited to use lower power in order to experience the feeling of ham radio and to prepare for the normal hamradio exams.


This took my attention, so I went looking into detail.

He was playing with 5W, the limitation of the QRP category, I was playing with 1000W-1500W.
So a power difference of at least +23 dB.

This is the graph with the number of QSO's / hour :


And yes, I'm - big power with 3 element yagi- the green one. 

Conditions were extremely poor on all bands, so no propagation advantages possible. 
Everybody was complaining that only 20m band (my band) attracted participants.

This guy wasn't QRP, even not Low Power...  I should say rather around 500W.

Two objections :

If one gives rookies access to ham radio only to achieve more members (and so more member revenues) for a national club society, please think twice.  Quantity doesn't mean quality.

If the access is given, ie. a hamradio callsign to someone who had only to pass a very, very, very basic exam, please foresee enough control to retract the callsign in case of such false playing.

I am very disappointed, because FT8/FT4 contests (with better propagation) can give a lot of fun with real QRP equipment, as I noticed with my wire antenna and only 1W.   These false playing operators are putting high scores that aren't breakable with 5W.

And this here is not a question about running 10W in stead of 5W.




Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten